Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Culminating with a Very Fine Sunday

A normal day in Århus is grey with showers. It is so rare for the blue sky to be unblemished by clouds, but last Sunday is such a day. But I think the story should start somewhere on Wednesday. Amy wanted to make dumplings that night. Initially it was only going to be a small affair with the girls. But she didn't go downtown on time to buy the ingredients, and then we invited more guys as the day passed. I like how this spontaneous 'party' was borne. We cooked whatever we bought from the supermarket: unfallible Heeyul (hereafter Oppa) cooked some Korean meat with sweet potato noodles, Kengo in his debut performance, cooked meat with lettuce, I cooked brocolli and carrots (gotta hv the vegies!) and Gabrielle made her mother's famous apple crumble.

Our group (L-R): Kengo, me, Amy, Peter, Oppa, Hyeri and Gabrielle. Oppa says this photo captures how we normally behave so acurately (mostly directed at the three kids on the left).
It was a good night, I was drank to a perfect, happy level, scraped the apple crumble clean, danced and sang to 2NE1, wore Kengo's new boots even before him, then stole his other boots forcing him to walk thru gravel and wet grass in his socks (ahhh...teasing him gives such a perverse sense of happiness. He says I'm saddistic).

Friday, was J-Day, for when the Christmas Beer (Juleøl) is released. It's a brew made especially for Xmas, and we were told there will be hot girls handing out free beers on trucks. Actually I did see lots of them in skimpy Santa Claus dresses and a truck near the university prior to going, so I was very excited. But when we got to downtown, we couldn't find any hot girls on trucks handing out free beer as promised by the Danes. We walked everywhere we could think of and all we found were OLD MEN dressed as Santa Clauses playing Xmas carols. Such a disappointment! In the end we just bought some Xmas beer from 7/11 and went to Peter's place for a quieter, more restrained night in. But the night didn't end there, for we missed our last bus home, so we had to walk. home. It was nevertheless a good walk because we sang on the way in French, Korean, Chinese and English.

People dancing with Musical Santas

Hyeri imitating the Santa on the Xmas Beer. I know I will likely be arsewhooped by her if she ever finds out I put such a photo of her in the public domain, but she's such a cutie-pie here I'll take the risk

On Saturday night, we went to Oppa's place for his Bibimbab party. Bibimbab is my favourite Korean food, enough said!

And on Sunday...yes it was a really fine day. In the morning, Peter took Oppa, Naho and I to an chocolate fair [for Christmas chocolate (Julens chokolade)? The Danes have Xmas everything!]near his place. We sample fine chocolate from many makers, so much I felt really quite sick after just the 2nd or 3rd table. Then, we went to deer park, a place I've been wanting to go to for a long time. It looked so different from the photos I had seen because the ground was covered by amber leaves. Afterwards, we walked the chocolates off by the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment