Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mt Pilatus

On my last full day in Luzern, the clouds finally parted and I seized the opportunity to ascend Mt Pilatus. I took a boat ride to Apnachstad, where I met some old ladies from Beijing, then I boarded the steepest cograil train in the world up the mountain. At the steepest points, the degree of inclination was 48 degrees!

I don't know if it was a cultural thing, like Chinese people are too use to crowded spaces to care about personal space, but the two old ladies I met on the boat kept taking photos in the carriage. Normally that's ok, but not inside a cramped carriage already seating one extra person and when they were sitting in the middle and have to lean across someone else or stand in between a man's legs to take their photo... I felt so embarrassed! Guilt by association!

Anyways~~ the day was so clear so the view was good. It kind of made up for the lack of views up on Jungfrau. The Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau were visible from Pilatus - and they looked so close! The old ladies took lots of photos for me.

Alpine tanning...
the lakes, towns and other mountains below
If you imagine the fence out, I'm flying!!
After the first viewing platform, the old ladies and I parted ways. I went on a rather perilous journey to the highest point on Pilatus. Along the way I met two Indo boys - Al and Chris (Boom) - what is it with meeting two boys on Swiss mountains, eh?

On our way to the highest point, we saw an Alpine Ibex standing proudly on a sheer cliff-face a good 10 metres above our path.
On the way down, I walked again, trying to relive the glory of Jungfau. But I was quite disappointed by the view. The trek was so steep too, even though in the map it said the path was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment