Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wonderful London

I'm in Paris now already!! But I shall back track to tell of my lurve for London. Starting from where I left off, the day after I arrived, I was paid a visit by none other than Yang Li. She journeyed across the channel from Paris to spend a day with me in ole London Town. She also bought me some delicious macaroons from Versailles

After a stroll through a part of Hyde park, we walked to Bucko Palace, where we caught most of the changing of the guard, which was an unexpected surprise. I don't get the whole point of the ceremony, but the guards played some nice music and marched around a bit. There were SOOO many people about that standing outside the palace gates we were able to see nothing more than the tips of their black hats, if we were even lucky...


Across the Thames at the London Eye, we waited in line for more than a hour, most under the glare of the midday-ish sun and also under the glare of some European man in front of us in the queue. I got sunburnt there (who knew the sun was so strong in England!!). One circle around, 30 minutes....

Do you know what the bridge in the above photo is called? For the longest time I thought it was called the London Bridge. And so did Yang! But when we got there, it was the most BORING bridge! nothing more than a plank across the water. The above bridge is actually called the Tower Bridge, aptly named given the Tower of London (not-so aptly named given it isn't one lone tower, but rather a fortification/castle looking thing) is just on the other end. There is lots crown jewels are in there, and a place I want to visit when I come back

...and that pretty much brings and end to Yang and my day together.

The next day, I went on a day tour to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Bath. I chose this package because in the book I'm reading right now, "Europe for Dummies", specifically recommends these places. However I thought Salisbury Cathedral, whose spires are the tallest in England, was a bit of a disappointment. The inside was rather underwhelming, and the most exciting thing inside was the most original version of the Magna Carta (the one King John signed). The Roman Baths in the Georgian town of Bath, which was also recommended by the effervescent Mon Mon, was however fantabulous. Basically it's a natural spring which the Romans built a...structure over. The water was green and warm and bubbling due to the gases contained within trying to escape to the surface.



A flower mound on the streets of Salisbury

That Roman man was nice :)

The bath, with the Bath Abbey in the background

The fourth day was relatively subdued. I went to Westminster Abbey (lovely place, really beautiful inside), walked by the Big Ben (and listened to it chime at 1pm) and the Houses of Parliament, before making my way to The Royal Courts of Justice. It's significant to me since a lot of what I've learnt in law has come from there. It's a really beautiful building!! and still functioning as the highest caught of England too. I even went in and listened to an appeal. It felt...almost emotional to be sitting there in the hallowed room where so many decisions has been handed down.

At night I watched Wicked. It was reeaally good! Quite funny too! Who knew GAlinda was such a dumb blonde? - "Dear Mumsey and Popsical..." I want to watch it again, but sit closer to the stage next time.

And that unfortunately brings an end to my London adventures.

More interesting and random facts about London:
- it's either heavily polluted or is still ladened with pollen in mid-summer. i think it's the former, I was sneezing so much every day! My nose was always itchy...it's stopped now that I'm in Paris, but I doubt Paris is any less polluted, maybe just a different pollutant.
- the English are quite obsessed with organic foods. There was a Planet Organic close to where I lived, that served quite cheap meals. I wish I discovered it sooner, the food was quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment