Friday, July 30, 2010

Vienna

Actually, I'm in Århus (it's pronounced like Orhus) already. The internet connection at my hostel at Vienna was seriously lacking so I wasn't able to make any posts during my time there.

My preconceived impression of Vienna was shaped by the misleading film about Johann Strauss II, The Great Waltz. Because of this film, to me, Vienna is about Strauss (not Mozart), goulash, the Danube (although for the last, this cartoon I watched as a child also had significant contributions). So let's get that all over with first.

Beef Goulash
With the gold Strauss statue at Staadpark
Cruising the Danube - it was such a disappointment/let down!! It was an ugly cruise, sooo not recommended!

I loved Vienna, perhaps because it was not boiling hot (it was rainy and windy), but I do love it. Vienna is a bit like Paris, with the museums and palaces, but without the crowds. And one does not need to be afraid of speaking English, because everyone speaks English gladly. It is also beautiful like Paris - the entire city is predominantly built up of ornately decorated buildings built centuries ago. Sometimes it's strange walking in streets surrounded by these stately buildings and then to walk by someone dressed up in business gear - they belong to plain high rises, not with these nice buildings. Probably the place I liked the most? (maybe after Jungfrau though) It's pretty expensive though, and it wasn't very good timing to go in July/August as all its biggest drawcards, ie the boys choir, State Opera and Spanish Riding School, are on holidays. Which is why I'll go back!!

I'm not going to write about where I went, but the unplanned adventures I had with other travellers I met along the way.

On the first day, after a long day exploring the rooms and gardens of Schloss Schonbrunn and then looking for the unique and colourful Hundertwasser-Krawinahaus, my roommate Cindy and I headed for the Rathaus for the 美食广场. We saw a big screen erected in front of the Rathaus, and after looking at some of the banners, found out it was part of the Vienna Film Festival. That night they were showing an opera. After dinner from the 美食广场 (I had Japanese food cooked by white people - it was REALLY bad - I thoroughly enjoyed the rice though, my first in weeks!), we went back to our hostel so Cindy could put on more clothes (it was very cold and windy and rainy). There were two girls (Yoko and Seyoung) in our room when we got back and we invited them to come along and watch a free opera! Walking out, it felt really good and exciting to have formed this spontaneous group. Just to have made these temporary friends to share this excursion put me on a high.

Then the next day, the same. Cindy and I went to buy tickets for a concert and met a boy at the counter. Turned out he lived at the same hostel as us! Even after we parted for our own explorations of the city, I met the boy again at the State Opera.

Yet again, on my third day in Vienna, when I took a day trip to the Wachau region for a cruise of the Danube (it has always been a dream of mine after the abovementioned movie and cartoon), I met a girl from my hostel who I recognised from the night before. The cruise itself was a disappointment because the river was a dirty yellow and the scenary of the banks was soo boring. It also rained 15 mins into our cruise. On the train back to Vienna, we met two other girls. One of them, called Laalaa, was so energetic and talkative. She was quite a character, and sometimes her eccentricity was hard to believe. Eg she has a toy Winnie The Pooh who she says is her and when she takes photos would take photos of her toy as if it were her!! The five of us had dinner together, Austrian 'specialty'(?) pork knuckles. It was advertised to be for two, so I shared with Laalaa. There was soooo much meat and fat but we finished it! However afterwards I felt 有点吃伤, cos I couldn't think, look, smell meat or any animal produce without feeling queezy for two days!

Party of Five - Meeting these girls turned an otherwise bad decision to cruise the Danube into a highlight of Vienna.
In front of the Belvedere, we're shooting Laalaa as represented by Pooh
Bubbly, loveable Laalaa taking a photo of Pooh
The pork knuckles!! Yang and Grace hardly finished half of theirs~~~

Throughout this trip, and particularly in Vienna, I've been facinated about how as I wander this world, minding my own business, we have crossed paths at this intersection, at this particular time and place. Had either of us made a different decision, or gone somewhere else or even caught a different train, our fates will not have become entwined, and I would not have experienced Jungfrau/Pilates/Vienna/Danube as I ultimately did. Was it fate that we should meet and write a small piece in each others history?

1 comment:

  1. See Jen, no need to worry about being alone in a foreign country eh?? Looks like you're having a whale of a time! And nice weather too, not like here where it's always rainy and cold >.<"
    Happy travelling, and stay safe as always! xx Wunsie

    ReplyDelete